With a scale to be efficient and the technology to back it up, GrubHub explores the untapped market of food delivery. Stan Chia, Senior Vice President, Operations, at GrubHub, talks to Chicago Inno GM Will Flanagan on the company’s new venture and how it has expanded over the past few months.
Some of our key takeaways from the conversation:
- Building Strong Relationships:
GrubHub’s secret to success is building strong partnerships with all its stakeholders. It believes in treating diners, restaurants, and its driver community as customers and strives to provide them with a pleasant experience.
- Staying Accountable:
GrubHub takes full accountability for any issues encountered by the diner. By doing so, it aims to diagnose the problem and come up with solutions to prevent them.
- Having Competitors is Good:
It is essential to keep an eye on what your competitors are doing, as it helps you to understand the trends in the market. It, however, is important that you don’t let competition dictate what you do. New entrants in any field help boost innovation and disruption.
Below are some of the key points and moments from the conversation:
- 1:22 – GrubHub explored the expanding market of food delivery
- 3:13 – GrubHub used big data to understand prep times and travel time and overcome the challenges with food delivery
- 4:30 – GrubHub’s tech team created smart algorithms and its strong driver network powered growth of its last mile delivery system
- 7:22 – GrubHub retained its driver community by treating them like customers and offering them right financial incentives
- 9:15 – Nationwide expansion of GrubHub’s food delivery system was through strategic acquisition of competitors as well as building a strong network of restaurants and drivers
- 14:08 – GrubHub takes full accountability of any issue faced by the diner, diagnoses the problem, and improves the system
- 18:22 – Competitors boost innovation and disruption in food delivery and GrubHub is at the forefront, as it always focuses on the consumer